10/15/08

God's Little Creatures

I've read this phrase on the BSNYC blog comments: "mimes make a careful study of the way things are done, and then they do them in the correct way." For some reason, it really caught my attention; may be because mimes are so mesmerizing, moderately creepy and seem to be completely out of place no matter the circumstance. In any case, I've caught myself trying to analyze the way people do things, but soon drifted into trying to figure out WHY are they doing all these things. Unfortunately, this thought is not at all new, and already a while back I've established that making sense of people's movements is hopeless, and that the only thing to do it to take things for face value.
One thing still bothers me though. Child shows. Muppets. Passpartout. Sesame Street. You name it. Think about the concept itself, think slowly. Adults produce an unnaturally lit space in which half-paralyzed, disproportional figures move as epileptics in a rave. These furry relatives of Chucky are presented in quasi-normal setting doing seems-so normal things. However, any time I see one of these shows I feel somewhat disconnected from reality, and not in a good way. The kind of disconnection you get when you are standing on the edge of a cliff or a tall building, and a sudden gust of wind takes you by surprise; and for a split second you have this double vision - in one you are still standing, and in the other already falling. I don't know if kids actually enjoy that kind of thing, but I clearly remember how I was afraid of the dark for an entire two weeks after I watched 5 minutes of the Muppet Show when I was about 4 or 5. Seriously, I just fail to understand how can somebody like red fuzzy big-mouthed frogs lip singing out of sync!
I think what freaks me out so much is that the life of all these creatures, anthropomorphic or otherwise, is grossly oversimplified; since it refers to the common actions that we perform on the daily bases I inevitably end up putting myself in the shoes of a clumsy, chubby, shaggy creature squeezed into a theme park created by a group of college design students on acid, who forgot that centi- and millimeters are not the same thing. Subjective? Yes, no denying. I'm just tired of people turning on the nostalgic look in their eyes and starting to sing whenever they see one of these things.
Don't get me wrong though, I don't hate all kids' stuff. I love cartoons. I adore some of childrens' literature. But childrens' music and shows are, and always were, beyond my understanding.
What triggered the rant above is that when I mention the word passpartout to some of my friends, they instantly think of the show. Not the master key, which is actually what the french word means, not the character from the classic "Around the world in 80 days," but the show. Of course, there is no shows' fault in it, and plenty of other references to world-wide classics go unnoticed, but... that is already an all different rant on the North American popular education and common knowledge, into which I don't want to get once again.

No comments: